... a self-consciously pretentious American's take on American consumption...

Do you like good food, literature, film and music? Let's connect!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

One sip...

...and I had found a world completely new, when love walked in with you.

I can never taste coffee the same again after having La Prima's light and dark roasts at last week's fieldtrip to the Strip District roasting facilities. I can pinpoint the significant points in my life that have changed my consumption and perception of coffee. After deciding to not use sweeteners in my beverages about 5 years ago, I began to think more about the body and acidity of the coffee, quite simply I would ask myself, "is this coffee bitter- or can I taste different notes?"

Enrico's Tazzo D'oro in Highland Park was my first significant experience as my mom has taken my sisters and me there since it opened 11 years ago. The barrista's not only pull the best espresso shots I have ever experienced, but they are just as beautiful, with either an intricate leaf or floral image adorning the top of the epicurean embodiment. I don't mean to fetishize food so intensely; however, I have literally dreamed about having a Tazzo D'oro latte after going through a month's withdrawal.

Another significant experience with understanding coffee tones came about three years ago after having French press at the Bee Hive in South Side with my coffee-savvy friend Alex. While I have had Oolong tea and other coffee at home made by my dad with his Bodem press, this coffee I could drink black. And I want to drink it black- the cream and the sugar only conceal the various flavors available to my taste buds.

Finally, after experiencing La Prima's fruity, vibrant light roast and the nutty, woody dark roast, Chatham's Cafe Rachel and their Fair Trade coffee no longer cut it for me. While it has become a privilege and lifestyle for me to consider the various qualities of good coffee, I have also had the opportunity to learn about the politics of coffee. Dr. Julier invited two graduate students from her class at the University of Pittsburgh to present their ongoing research project with Building New Hope.

Building New Hope is a non-profit organization based dually in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Granada, Nicaragua. Since 1992, BNH has supported and operated grassroots development projects in Central America. Their main goal is to "support and partnership to communities in development in Central America, particularly in El Salvador and Nicaragua" which includes a wide range of programming from an organic coffee import project, a veterinary clinic, alternative schools and literacy programs.

This various range of support is constructed through making the coffee trade more fair and friendly to farmers and suppliers:

"The organization has been paying above fair trade prices for the cooperative's coffee since 2002. The coffee is roasted in Southwestern Pennsylvania and sold by coffee shops, fundraising groups, and other vendors throughout the region and country. After paying the farmers, the profits from the coffee project, along with support from private donations, goes toward development projects in El Porvenir and other parts of Nicaragua. In El Porvenir (literally, "the future") BNH has provided funds for a partial-road, scholarships for post-secondary students and a supplemental teaching salary. Coffee revenue also funds approximately 50 percent of BNH's programming based in Granada, Nicaragua including the alternative schools and veterinary clinic" (from their Executive Summary)

My next goal in becoming more aware of the politics of coffee and fair trade includes finding out if my favorite coffee suppliers indeed do partake in the sale of BNH's coffee, yet another reason for loving that latte of mine.

1 comment:

  1. So cool. La Prima is still the best, I think, though....

    ReplyDelete